The Master of Adventure Tourism Studies (MATS) is a 4 semester (2 years) course of 73 credits. The course focuses on imparting professional skills and knowledge to the students and enable them to advance their careers in mountain and adventure tourism fields. It specifies on the knowledge of mountain and adventure tourism management to meet professional standards and compete in the national and international arena. It focuses on:
- to build up professional skills and integrated knowledge of the dynamics of adventure tourism. mountain and mountaineering tourism management. cultural diversity and creativity for innovation and sustainability in tourism industry;
- to fulfill the need of skilled and expert manpower to meet the scope in mountain and adventure tourism sectors;
- to enhance and strengthen the graduates to pursue entrepreneurial values in the adventure tourism and leadership development in mountain tourism;
- to build up professionalism in adventure and mountain research studies, and enable them for leadership in the study and research in national and international sectors of adventure and mountain tourism management.
Scopes of MATS
This course has been specifically designed to enable the graduates:
- to handle the tourism industry through their professional skills and integrated knowledge;
- to develop the tourism destination, planning and operate the adventure and mountain tourism;
- to be an innovator of adventure, mountain and mountaineering tourism management;
- to exhibit their skills, competence, and willingness to work in governmental and non-governmental organizations, research institutions, tourism and hospitality industries, rural and mountain development institutes, academia, and other tourism-related organizations;
- to build up professionalism in adventure and mountain studies research, and innovation, and enable them for leadership in the study and research in national and international sectors of adventure and mountain tourism management.
As tourism is a growing industry in Nepal and also globally, the scope of the graduates after the successful completion of the course definitely goes beyond the national level and fetches and international prospect in the field of adventure, mountain, and mountaineering tourism management.
MATS course offers you to be:
- Adventure Tourism Manager
- Adventure Tourism Innovator
- Adventure Tourism Planner
- Adventure Tourism Explorer
- Adventure Tourism Leader
- Adventure Tourism Entrepreneur
- Adventure Tourism Academician
- Adventure Tourism Researcher
Additional information about the course
|Class Timings||The classes for MATS start from 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM in the evening on weekdays.
(Note: Classes can be arranged on Saturdays or any other holidays as and when needed.)
|Attendance and Evaluations||It is compulsory for all the students to maintain an attendance record of 80% in each subject in order to be eligible to appear for the final board examination. Further, the 40 marks shall be allocated to each student from internal evaluation and 60 marks from the final board examination for each subject.|
The Grading system followed in the MATS program is based on the absolute performance of a student in the in-semester (40%) evaluations and semester-end examinations (60%) conducted by TU.
Here’s the breakdown of the grading system of 40% :
- Class Assignment: 10
- Group Discussion: 10
- In-class Presentation: 10
- Attendance: 10
- Internal Examination (Mid-term & Pre-board) : 20
- Project Work/research Work/Practical Field Work (with Presentation): 40
- Total: 100 marks to be converted to 40 marks
Note: Out of the 40 marks, an individual student must score 30 marks to be eligible and qualified to appear in the final semester examination. In case if the students fail to score a minimum of 30 marks, they shall be marked as 'Not Qualified (NQ)’ for the respective subjects'.